Tuesday, June 23, 2015

26 in 26: A recap

To celebrate my birthday the last two years, I've done a "# in #" list a la Sydney. So for my 25th birthday, I made a list of 25 things I wanted to do that year. And I did the same again for my 26th. My 25 in 25 list wasn't entirely successful--I completed 14.5 of the 25 items--and I'm sad to say that my 26 list wasn't much better. I completed 11 full items and a few partial ones:

(As in my original post, the first 9 items are leftover from the 25 in 25.)

1. Lead-climb the arch route at the Audubon
2. Get at least one of the tattoos on my list
3. Get furniture that I’m not embarrassed of (Priorities: couch, entryway closet, living room chairs)
4. Visit the Columbus Zoo
5. Visit the Franklin Park Conservatory
6. Go white-water rafting
7. Visit all three of my out-of-our-parents’-house sisters at least once (One in South Carolina, one in Sandusky, Ohio, and one in Athens, Ohio)
8. Make Julia Child’s boeuf bourginon
9. Beef up my camping gear (Priorities: hiking boots, sleeping pad)
10. Beef up my climbing gear (Priorities: PAS, quickdraws, crash pad, outdoor rope)
11. Toprope a 10a at the Red or the New
12. Learn how to clean a route
13. Climb or boulder somewhere new
14. Perform in a dance piece in front of an audience
15. Visit a new city
16. Visit another new city
17. Visit a new country
18. Get married!
19. Do a photo-a-day project (365 days!)
20. See a band/artist I like in concert
21. Go to a beach
22. Make a dress
23. Make a skirt
24. Tackle at least one project a month from either my “Seriously...get on this” Pinterest board or my general house to-do list.
25. One locally owned restaurant/bar per month (no repeats)
26. Be able to do at least three pull-ups


Part of the reason for my uncompleted list is due to my own tendency to overcommit. I mean, come on...did I really think I'd have the time to do a monthly project or the money to each at a new, locally owned establishment each month? Or to make my own clothes? Or to just leisurely stroll around the zoo for a day? Please.

Still, I got a fair amount done. Some fun details on some items:

#10: I very nearly got finished this--and honestly, the only reason I didn't make quickdraws a bigger priority is because Matt has a pretty decent rack already; I just want my own. But now that we're married, what's mine is his, right? So the quickdraws are mine? I'm gonna count it. CHECK.

#11: I managed to fanangle my way up a 10b route at the New River Gorge last June, with just the slightest bit of help on Matt's end. He belayed me and took just a teensy bit of my weight to help me through the hardest part of a route. It doesn't technically count, but I'm still counting it.

#18: As if you hadn't figured out by now that this had happened. Pictures soon, I swear...it's just that I was given creative license to edit them and while my photographer did an AMAZING job, he also gave me beaucoup unedited shots and I am just having a field day with those. I'm almost done. Really.

#20: I can't believe I never blogged about this, but I saw Cartel during their 10-year Chroma anniversary tour this spring. It was incredible and the teen in me died all night long. I even caught the eye of the drummer from up on the balcony--I met him after the show and he commented on how impressed he was that I knew every word. (Which I absolutely did; I sang along all night.) I told him 16-year-old me was beside herself. She totally was.

#22-23: I picked up some patterns at least. That counts for something, right?

#24: I did exactly one project: Making a box to put our cat's litter box in. Which is to say, I found a properly-sized flip-lid box with wicker sides, convinced Matt to cut a hole out of one side, lined the inside with carpet scraps and called it a day. Oops?

#25: The four restaurants in that linked post are the only four I wound up officially visiting. I guess technically we also went to Local Cantina late last month, but I didn't take pictures and pics or it didn't happen, amiright?

#26: I came so close. SO CLOSE. But then the wedding happened and I didn't go to the gym for like two and a half months and all my progress just disappeared. I was almost there!!!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do a "27 in 27" list. Part of me wants to, if only because now I'll have a bit more free time to tackle some of the things I didn't get around to this past year. And part of me says that my track record on completing the list speaks for itself.

If I do decide to do it...any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!