Thursday, April 24, 2014

Refocusing

So I mentioned recently that I've been thinking a lot about this blog and how I use it now versus how I've been using it and how I intended to use it when I started it. At first, Verbal Mélange was really supposed to be a true "lifestyle" blog; a little bit of everything, a whole lot of no one thing.

Then, it evolved. It became more of a "life and style" blog, one that focused on the evolution of my personal style. Which was necessary. I was new to the "business casual" world of office-wear, and I was in a huge style rut. I literally wore the same 10 or 12 outfits in rotation to work. And I was sick of it.

Blogging helped me define myself, sartorially. I think it's safe to say I've more or less found my style (even if I don't really have a name for it, I at least can clearly define what works and what doesn't for me). And that itself has kind of put me in a rut of a different sort.

I've gotten into this pattern of just posting an outfit out of habit, not because there was something I particularly liked about it. And I kind of fell off the bandwagon of posting about much else. On top of that, I feel this weird and stupid pressure to post on a regular schedule. I realized that it stresses me out, and it makes me feel like blogging is more of a chore than a fun hobby. And that realization really got me thinking.

So as a sort of late commemoration of my three-year bloggiversary, I'm announcing a few wee changes around here. Mostly, I want to make this blog about what it was supposed to be about: everything and anything. So I'm stopping with the alliterative themed post days (Fiscal Fridays, Wedding Wednesdays, etc.), which felt a little restrictive to me. Instead, I'll post what I feel like posting, when I feel like posting it. Recipe on a Tuesday? Wedding stuff on a Friday? Clothes budget recap on a Saturday? Anything goes! I'm also going to stop restricting myself to this "must post at least every other day" thing. If I happen to go two days without a post, it won't be the end of the world. The bottom line is, life is busy, and it does me no good to stress about adhering to an arbitrary schedule.

So! There you have it. I'm not shutting the old gal down yet, mostly because I still really enjoy interacting with you guys. But don't be surprised if things seem a bit...weird...as I get into this new groove :)

And, as always, thank you so much for reading. I truly wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for you guys, and I'm so happy to call many of you "friend." You all rock.

1 comment:

  1. Good choices. It's never wise to force a post merely because of scheduling. Let enthusiasm guide you. And you, too, rock!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!