Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hell to the yes!

Taking a little break from my frenzied week for this quick post...


{Image credit: J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press}

I usually avoid getting political here because this is supposed to be a fun, creative little outlet for me and I don't want to worry about lame trolls coming and starting flame wars in the comments section. But after today's Supreme Court ruling, I just had to come out and say how insanely happy I am to see DOMA struck down.

Gay marriage is an issue that is very near and dear to my heart. Part of it is because I have a lot of friends who currently are unable to marry the person they love. Or if they do marry that person, they have to travel out of state, then live in a state that doesn't recognize their commitment to one another. It breaks my heart to see my loved ones struggle to gain the right to something that those of us in hetero relationships just take for complete granted.

But it's so much more than that.

I truly believe, with every fiber of my being, that NO government has the right to tell two consenting, competent adults in a committed relationship that they cannot obtain the same legal status as other adults just because they are both the same gender. Gay marriage is not a "gateway issue" that will lead to an adult marrying a child or an animal. It won't lead to anyone being forced into marriage. And it will not, by any stretch of the imagination, destroy the sanctity or importance of straight marriage. If you want to talk about the sanctity of straight marriage, first take a look at the marriages of Brittney Spears, Kim Kardashian, Newt Gingrich or Glynn "Scotty" Wolfe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm very, very excited about this step forward for marriage equality in America. But with that excitement, I offer to you all this reminder: This is a great step, but it still is just a step. 70% of American citizens still live in a state in which marriage equality is still a dream. Let's use this momentum to inspire us and keep us motivated until marriage equality is a reality for all Americans, and after that, the world.

Okay. Soapbox done. Happy Wednesday :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! And thanks for expressing your viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that steps are being taken in this direction :) I am 100% in agreement with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you, thanks for sharing!

    I just followed you on GFC. If you want, we can follow each other on other platforms. Just let me know!
    www.astylevictim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!