Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm thankful...

Today I'm spending the entire day cooking and consuming Thanksgiving delights. Matt and I are heading to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving lunch with my family, then to his parents' house for Thanksgiving dinner with his. And as I spend my morning baking and my afternoon/evening stuffing my face and slowly slipping into the kind of food coma that can only be brought on by ungodly amounts of turkey and mashed potatoes and pie, I'll be thinking of all the things I'm thankful for. Like...


My family (and Matt's).
I love them all to death, and I'm so blessed to have so many people to care about and who care about me. As I grow older, I realize just how rare it is to have parents who are still married (and in love), and how lucky Matt and I both are to have it. I also realize that families are not always as close as mine is, and the fact that all seven of my siblings and my parents and I are closer than ever is something that I hope I never, ever take for granted.


My friends.
I have some of the best true-blue friends a girl could ever ask for. We don't always talk every day, thanks to distance or busy schedules, but when we do we're able to pick up right where we left off like no time has passed at all. Whether we're drinking wine and watching New Girl, playing with puppies at the pet store, raging at the club or catching up over dinner at a semi-lame chain restaurant, my friends can always make me smile and they're always there for me.


My job.
Let's face it. The recession may be "over," but the economy still isn't doing so hot. This time last year, I was working three jobs to make ends meet. This year, I'm working one and picking up freelance work when I feel like it, as a favor to my editors and not out of a dire need for the extra cash. I'm thankful that I enjoy what I do, and that I've found something that is both stimulating enough and secure enough that I can see myself here for years to come.


My health.
Ok, so I'm not exactly the picture of perfect mental or physical health. I'm out of shape, my immune system is terrible and I still struggle with depression from time to time. But overall, it's nothing that I can't deal with. I am basically healthy most of the time, which is more than many people can say. And even when things get bad--and sometimes they do get really, really bad--I always know that it will pass and I'll be fine in a few days or weeks.


This blog.
Through it, I've discovered my own personal sense of style (and many more things about myself besides). I've also made so many new friends who I never would have met otherwise. I know I won't have the blog forever, the connections I've made through the blogging community will far outlast my outfit photos and other random blabbing.


Matt.
In the four and a half years that we've been together, he's taught me that even the best relationships are not always easy, that life gets in the way, and it makes things hard. But through all that, he's also taught me when the other person is really worth it, the two of you find a way to make it work, no matter what. He is my rock and my best friend. He's the only person who I can sit in comfortable silence without feeling awkward, who sees me as I truly am, who I don't have to be socially acceptable around, who knows me better than I know myself. Life is an adventure and we're tackling it together.


Cheese.
Because things were starting to get a little sappy. Also, cheese might just be one of the the best things ever.


1 comment:

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!