Monday, September 10, 2012

Pin-spiration Monday: Bathroom tweaks

I would like to start this blog post by saying that I had this whole damn thing typed up and coded, and then I lost it because Blogger doesn't autosave any more. So I'm probably going to be a bit short here, but sorryI'mnotsorry.

So. To summarize what I just pointlessly typed up, Matt and I recently painted an accent wall in our bathroom. I decided to make some bathroom art to hang on the opposite wall, using the accent wall's color. So naturally, this project was the first one to come to mind:

9-10-12a

All in all, it was a pretty easy project. The only supplies were the two canvases, some masking tape, my leftover wall paint, and a painting utensil. Originally, I was using a foam roller. But that wasn't playing nice with the canvas, so I switched to a plain old wall paintbrush.

I was kind of but not really surprised by how much the canvas bled. It makes sense, I suppose, but based on the original pin, I guess I wasn't really expecting it.

9-10-12b

Anyway, I'm really pleased with how the whole thing turned out. It's hanging above my toilet, so I'll spare you the wide shot. There's a floor-to-ceiling cabinet to the right, and the sink/mirror is to the left. We decided not to paint this wall because it didn't seem worth the effort to move/detach the sink, mirror and toilet to paint, knowing we'd have to do it all again and paint back to white when we move out in a year or two. But still. Now we have an accent wall! (It's the wall directly opposite this one.)


9-10-12c

I made another art addition in the bathroom, too. My bud Sydney of Take Me For A Twirl took a cool umbrella shot a while back, and I emailed her to ask if I could get a copy to use for art. (Funny story, that was our first interaction besides complimenting each other's outfits via blog comment.) Anyway, I tweaked the color a bit, then created desaturated versions of the original and lined them up from brightest to palest.

9-10-12d

It's hanging above my towel rack and really lends to the beachy theme of the rest of the bathroom. Thanks, Syd, for letting me use your photo! And just for the heck of it, here's a wide shot with the rest of the beachy decor. The shells are from various vacations I went on as a kid, and the three beach photos (which are kind of hard to see here) were taken by my friend Emily. (The same friend whose Eiffel Tower photo is hanging on my living room wall. Hey, I know what I like.)

9-10-12e

So. I officially deem today's Pin-spiration Monday a success. Onward!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I love art and admire all efforts to add it to our lives. It's nice to surround ourselves with it and feel its glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! The masking tape paintings are totally awesome and seem simple enough to actually try out. You did a great job

    ReplyDelete

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!