Thursday, September 6, 2012

Layering and weird outfit quirks

9-6-12a

9-6-12b
dress: gifted
sleeveless collared shirt: New York & Company
cardi: H&M
shoes: secondhand
necklace: Target
bracelet: Forever 21

Sorry if you're tired of hearing (reading?) this from me, but my office is COLD. Like, keep-a-heavy-sweater-in-your-cube cold. Once, I wore a skirt and long sleeves, and wound up having to wrap my sweater around my legs and tie the arms in a knot to keep it in place. That. Cold.

Anyway, the best way to handle such frigid temps when it's 90 degrees outside is, of course, layers. I just throw a non-wrinkle-prone cardi in my bag with my high heels, then throw it on when I get to work and switch my comfy shoes for my actual shoes. (Hey, walking around downtown in four-inch heels is NO FUN.)

So I need some feedback from you guys with this outfit. When I was wearing it, I felt really thick around the middle. Just kind of...puffy. And when I look at this outfit, I feel like I look puffy. Does anyone else see that, or is it just me? Also, I'm not really sold on these shoes. I think they'd be cute with long pants, so just the toes poke out. My friend at work called them "grandma" shoes...you can't see it in the photos, but they have a square one-inch heel. Any opinions on those?

9-6-12c

5 comments:

  1. God I absolutely HATE cold offices. I'm lucky that the office I'm in right now isn't that bad, but there are other sections in the office that are freezing. I pray I never end up in one of those.
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of the shoes, they're just not my style, but I don't think there's anything wrong with your outfit. You don't look "thick" in the middle or anything! But I can see how you might feel that way with all of the layers. Just know that you don't look it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you look thick in the middle at all! I think maybe belting would help if you think so?

    I agree with the shoes though - they would look cute with pants but I don't love it with the dress

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean on both fronts. You aren't really puffy but the shape and design of the clothes create that appearance. Nothing to worry about, though. Comfort is important.

    I recently bought similar sandals 'cause they were so inexpensive and now I hate them. Every time I look at them, I see Old Ladies' Shoes. Of course, anyone can wear them and they aren't really bad but I hate being reminded of old age -- since I'm facing it myself. I'd rather delude myself into believing I'm your age, with life and joy ahead of me, not in the rear-view mirror.

    These sandals, on you, are fine depending on how YOU feel about them. Items of clothing are only part of the magic that occurs when we dress: who we are can transform the clothes. It's like when feminine women wear men's clothes -- they look adorably cute, not butch. So an attractive young woman like you wearing these shoes doesn't look old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Fran. I don't think it makes you look puffy AT all. I know that feeling through. Makes me want to buy those peek-a-boo shirts on the infomercial just to avoid the thick layering : ) My solution on days like this, belt it! Always holds everything in place.

    I just posed an outift where I had to do JUST that to keep the shirt down over on my blog:

    www.emertins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Emma. Thank you for the constructive advice you just left on my blog. I'm always looking for feedback since that helps me learn and grow. Your point makes perfect sense and I appreciate your educating me. You know SOOOO much more than I do!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!