Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Breakfast burgers

It's been a while since I did a recipe post, mainly because it's been a while since I've actually cooked something delicious and not just fried some chicken to serve with instant mashed potatoes and frozen veggies. Let's face it...summertime is not exactly made for spending in a hot kitchen.

But I had this photo sitting in my "unposted photos" queue, so I figured why not? It may not look very pretty, and in fact it's quite messy to eat, but this burger was deeee-licious!



Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- parsley
- garlic powder
- 6 slices bacon (I used applewood smoked)
- 5 eggs
- cheese (I like Colby-Jack, but cheddar is also good)
- 4 English muffins

In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, one egg, and a dash each of parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Don't over-season, you just want to give your burger a little background flavor. (Note: You can see from the photo that I didn't do this next step, but trust me, it's a modification that will make chowing down a bit easier.)

Chop the bacon into small pieces (it helps to stick it in the freezer for about 15 minutes first) and add it to the turkey burger mixture. Mix everything together really well, incorporating the egg into all of it so the burgers won't break up.

Shape the meat into 8 mini-patties. You want them to be relatively flat, and slightly larger than the circumference of the English muffins, because the patties will shrink up a bit when you cook them. Cook in a frying pan over medium-high heat for a few minutes on each side to get a good sear on the outside, then reduce heat and cover with a lid, cooking for several minutes more on each side.

While the patties are cooking over low heat, crack the other 4 eggs into another skillet that's been sprayed with cooking spray (or, if you're a fat kid at heart like me, grease up the pan with butter). Break the yolks and fry those babies up! (Again, you'll notice I cooked my egg over-medium, so the yolk was still runny. While this was delicious, it was also really messy and really difficult to eat. I definitely suggest yolk-breakage.)

Just before the burgers are finished, top them with the cheese of your choice. Cover again for about a minute so the cheese will melt. Divide the fried eggs into 8 sections and top each burger with one. Each burger will be relatively small, so this recipe will really only serve four. Two mini-burgers is a great portion size :)

And the best part? These taste great in the morning or for dinner. Yum!

1 comment:

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!